Nannies, Baby Nurses, and Doulas, oh my!
If you're looking for some extra support for your first year with baby, you may be wondering what type of professional is right for your family. Should you hire a nanny, a baby nurse, or a postpartum doula? Are those just different names for the same thing?
While they are all knowledgeable in baby care, nannies, nurses, and doulas each have unique roles and areas of expertise, as you'll see in the lists below!
- Expert in child care; does not necessarily have specific education or experience with newborns
- May provide day, night, or around-the-clock care
- Contract usually begins after maternity/paternity leave
- Short- or long-term contracts
- May or may not have any formal training
- Primarily focuses on childcare while parents are away
- Trained or experienced with baby-care, sometimes specialized medical care; Newborn Care Specialists fill a similar role without a medical focus
- Length and time of service typically dependent on unique needs of baby or person who gave birth
- Level of training varies and could be anywhere from a Registered Nurse to no formal training
- May work in a medical setting or offer in-home care
- Usually cares for one specific patient
- Expert in infant care and parenting options, postpartum recovery, support of family members and family unit, and more
- May provide day, night, or around-the-clock support
- Typically provides support during baby/ies's first year; beginning as soon as parents desire support
- Professionally trained in infant care, breastfeeding, postpartum recovery (for baby and both parents), emotional support, and more.
- Typically provides support in-home and can also accompany parents on errands, play-dates, or in other locations as needed. Some doulas can also provide in-home newborn care while parents are out of the home for brief periods
- Supports entire family; focus is on supporting parents and their goals
Doulas of Des Moines offers the best in non-judgmental, unbiased support for your entire family. We support your unique goals and priorities, helping to create confident parents and thriving families. Want to know more? Let's chat!